Re: (ASCEND) In Defense Of Ascend...

At 04:25 PM 3/18/98 -0000, tqbf@secnet.com wrote:
>Why didn't that happen here? Because we found it extremely difficult to
>find a contact at Ascend.

Judging from this statement alone, I'd have to say you have set new bounds
on incompetency. Ascend is a global company (all the offices are on our web
page) with an easy U.S. 800 number to find (800-ASCEND-4) and more than one
public users list that I and other Ascend employees post to. We also post
to USENET. If you had let us know about this we would have jumped all over
it as we are doing now.

You could have searched alta-vista to find the users list, searched RFC's
for names of technical Ascend people, called the local sales office for an
SE. You could have done anything other than contacting our general tech
support line. Our tech support people get thousands of calls and emails per
day on a wide variety of issues. I expect the person screening emails
didn't know what do make of your message. Since you didn't hear back, YOU
should have made a better effort to contact one of us. It is simply not
that hard.

You don't have to be a professional. You simply have to be both competent
in today's information society and *responsible* enough to warn a major
company with 1000's of vulnerable customers that this bug exited.

Matt Holdrege		http://www.ascend.com	matt@ascend.com