(ASCEND) V.90/K56 fallback Was re: Kudo's to Engineering.

Well, there are a lot of rumors and speculations on this right now.  So,
I'll try to add some knowledge from the client side:

1)  A client/modem that supports V90 and K56 can, and will, negotiate a K56
    connection if the host can't provide V90.

2)  A client/modem supporting only V90, will fall back to V34 if the host
    can't provide V90.

3)  V90 without K56 may sound strange, but:
    The problem is that K56 and V90 both requires a lot of code.  If a modem
    hasn't a generous FLASH EEPROM, it's hard, or even impossible to cram
    K56 + V90 into it.  Either fiths without problems, but not both.

4)  Modems are [in most cases today] cost sensitive consumer products with
    price as the main sales argument.  This means there are, and will be, a
    lot of modems out there which will run either V90 or K56, but never both.

5)  This is NOT as bad as it may sounds though.

    Every ISP upgrading from K56 to V90 will support both.  The average
    user will not learn about V90 and upgrade before the _big_ announcement.
    Then most large ISP's are upgraded, and V90 works.

    Early adopters and advanced users may try to upgrade from K56 to V90:

    They FLASHload V90, calls and gets V34.  [mumbles the usual phrase of
    ISPs with antique equipment :-)]  Ok, they FLASHload K56, calls again
    and gets K56.  Back in business, no big deal.

    Some modem vendors will probably even supply software that does this
    for the customer.

6)  To find out which modem can and which can't support K56+V90 can be
    hard to tell before V90 is actually out.  You'll have to ask your
    vendor if you need to know before you got the upgrade in your hands.

    But don't count on quick answers.  Even as an insider, the only thing
    I know for sure yet is that Intertex IX36-edds DL (our high end version)
    _will_ run V90 + K56, when the upgrade comes ;-)