Re: (ASCEND) Ascend Access control software probs

> > Are you using the default directory (/etc/raddb) or a different RADIUS
> > database directory?
>
> Yes..

I will assume you mean you are using the default directory.

Make sure there is no "radipad.state" file left in the "/var/run" directory.
If there is, try to remove it (since you have not used it yet) before you
(re)start radipad.

> > Have you tried starting radipad with the debug option on the command line?
> >   radipad -x -p
> > If so, what does it report?
>
> We did try that, but there is nothing to report, not even a core dump...
> No display, no nothing

Make sure you use the "-p" option in addition to the "-x" option or else
the debug messages will be sent using syslog().

> > If you are getting a signal 11, is there a radipad.core file present?
> > If so, you should offer to provide it to Ascend customer service.
>
> We did report it to them, however they do not appear to be very informed
> about radipad, as I have been through six different techs already..

Are you just talking with whoever is available when you call in or are you
being passed off from representative to representative?

You probably need to ask for escalation to a RADIUS "expert".  I am sure
they exist.  They will probably want the core file (so don't delete it).

> > What do you need explained about it?  (which ever one you are talking
> > about).
>
> Basically since the source is not available for radipad, and the software
> is already compiled, I can only wonder if there was a problem when they
> compiled radipad.. I am going to try earlier versions of radipad, but I was
> hoping that others have had luck with it...

I had no problems when I tried it out, but I don't use it.  The idea of
global IP address pools just doesn't seem like a good idea to me, although
some seem to like it.  I like my routing to be simple and stable and using
global pools would seem to make routing anything but simple and stable.

I would recommend just setting aside enough addresses in a pool on each MAX.

You can actually see a version of radipad source (although the source to
the Access Control radipad will probably be different) in the free Ascend
RADIUS software distribution.

ftp://ftp.Ascend.Com/pub/Software-Releases/Radius/Current/radius-971222.tar.gz