Re: (ASCEND) MAX 4004 *very strange problem*

>From: Luke Parrish <lparrish@iAmerica.net>
>I currently have a network full of MAX 4004's for ISDN access. 2 weeks ago,
>we had a 4004 in Baton Rouge, LA all of a sudden just start rebooting. We
>could access it for about maybe 15 seconds and then it would reboot again.
>We unplugged the ethernet out of the back of the device and it would stay
>up and running, but as soon as we plugged it back into the Catalyst 5000 it
>would start rebooting again. So I drop shipped another one down there, and
>all is fine...
>
>The console is even slow, to slow to even work with. Of course if we unplug
>the ethernet it goes back to normal...
>
>Upon trying to update software rev via tftp, the ethernet got too slow
>timed out in the middle of the update. 10 minutes later it reboots itself,
>now when it boots it reads and repeats over and over again this message
>
>------------------------------
>
>From: "Leon McCalla" <leon@caribbeanlink.com>
>The Max was dropping all or most of the calls and posibly rebooting. If it
>was rebooting it wasn't leaving any power-up messages in the Fatal-history.
>Based on the slow response from the telnet session while it was dropping the
>calls, it felt as if the load was so high that ethernet activity was no
>longer a priority.
>
>------------------------------
>
>From: Jeff Deyo <jdeyo@iAmerica.net>
>has anyone seen any kind of a packet storm, or a denial of service attack
>that will shut down the ethernet interface of the ascend max 4004 to the
>point that it will reboot itself every 90 seconds?  you unplug the unit
>from the switch and everything returns to normal so i know that it is not a
>problem with the PRI T-1's since they have been in service for quite some
>time.  Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.  we are
>replacing units too quickly over this.  running 5.0ap8 code, but have been
>for quite a while.

Ah yes. This is all very familiar. For months, my 4000 would randomly move
it's nailed connections to a different WAN# and simultaneously the SNMP
monitor on the local Ethernet would fail to get responses from it,
indicating that a T1 went down or there was a reset, but there was never
anything in the fatal log, and the Telco pleaded innocence. When the
problem was occuring, you couldn't Telnet to the Max, and the console would
be unuseably slow. Pulling the Ethernet would immediately fix the problem.

One day this occured while I was right there, and I noticed that the ports
on the Ethernet switch for the Max 4000 and our colocation racks were
pegged. I pulled the colocation rack connector and the Max sprang back to
life.

I traced it to a colo'd crotchety old PC running Unix that had already
killed our network once. The Ethernet card had even been replaced. I made
the client get rid of that thing, which they did gladly, and the problem
hasn't recurred in over a month. I think it would just start jabbering and
lock the Max up, and for whatever reason that would cause the Max to drop
it's nailed connections.

Hope this helps.

Peter Lalor
Infoasis