Re: (ASCEND) Directed broadcasts on Ascend

At 02:18 PM 3/9/98 -0500, Phillip Vandry wrote:
>I normally have no complaints/whinings to make, but this is ridiculous.
>
>Nice idea to but options for rejecting directed broadcasts in 6.0.0,
>but why are they forwarded (set to Yes) by default?

Prior to 6.0, they were forwarded by default *and* that default could not
be changed. We really should not change how the box worked prior to the
upgrade; so the option is there, but defaults to the pre-upgrade setting.

>Here are the two major complaints about smurf attacks:
>
>1. "Not enough vendors provide a knob for directed broadcasts"
>2. "The vendors who do turn them on by default, meaning 90% of
>    administrators don't remember to turn them off, or don't know
>    that they should"
>
>Thanks for taking care of 1.
>
>But while Cisco has the excuse that they need to maintain backward
>compatibility, in Ascend's case this is a brand new feature, and a
>better default should have been chosen!

This *is* a new feature, but it is also set to maintains backward
compatibility because the implementation prior to the new option
did forward "by default".

If anyone was using this "feature" prior to the upgrade, and we had
the default set to "no"...guess what they would be saying. Since we
did add a new option and documented it, we would expect that it's
setting would be investigated by those interested in the new option.

Just *my* 2c.

Kevin