Re: (ASCEND) update on *4004 strange problem*

Luke Parrish <lparrish@iAmerica.net> writes

> Well, ended buying a new MAX 4004, and getting it delta dashed to the POP.
> Plugged it in configured it, all 4 PRI came up just fine. Today about 11:00
> am, box stops taking calls. I telnet to it, and it is too slow even move
> around in though the ethernet. I am talking 1800ms pings from its local
> ethernet segment. Other devices plugged into that catalyst are working just
> fine.
>
> The console is even slow, to slow to even work with. Of course if we unplug
> the ethernet it goes back to normal...
>
> For some reason i just get the feeling that someone is playing with us...

Well I would deploy a hub and network monitor to analyse what is really
going on at this port. Are you running RIP? Having a MAX listen to
more than a default route is no good idea in terms of performance.
And if something goes wrong (e.g. some misconfigured workstations start
to do poisoned reverse) a MAX is likely the one to suffer from it.

--
Manfred Kwiatkowski, ZRZ (Zentraleinrichtung Rechenzentrum), Sekr.: EN 50,
Technische Universitaet Berlin, Einsteinufer 17, D-10587 Berlin, GERMANY.