Re: (ASCEND) Mod Config/Ether/2nd Adrs : how to ?

Hello Steve,

Thnaks for your answer, but let me add something I thought obvious :

I'm conected not via the WAN, but via the LAN, directly on Rtr a or Rtr A,
and both have a route to the Max as this one is implied by the address
affected to the Ethernet interface on Rtr a and A...

Dans son message (In his/her message), Steve Camas ecrivait (wrote) :

> On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Paul Rolland wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Just getting more and more puzzled, seems to be time to ask someone...
> >
> > I'd like to have my Max answer two different IP addresses and I did something
> > as the following...
> >
> >                        +-------------+
> >                        |      Max    | IP Adrs=a.b.c.2/24
> >                        +-------------+ 2nd Adrs=A.B.C.2/24
> >            ---+---------------+-------------+---
> >               |                             |
> >          +---------+                   +---------+
> >          |  Rtr a  |                   |  Rtr A  |
> >          +---------+                   +---------+
> >          IP : a.b.c.1/24               IP : A.B.C.1/24
> >
> > >From Rtr a, I can telnet to a.b.c.2 and get connected.
> > >From Rtr A, I can *not* telnet to A.B.C.2 and get connected.
> >
> > I have *no* filter on Max, on Rtr a and Rtr A. This seems to be only
> > related to the fact that I'm using 2nd Adrs...
> > Is there another black magic command hidden somewhere or am I wrong ?
> >

> I suspect you *can* telnet from Rtr A to a.b.c.2.  For that matter, I
> suspect you can also telnet to Rtr a from Rtr A.  The max would respond to
> A.B.C.2 if packets actually got there.  I suspect you would need to add a
> route on Rtr A that says packets for the A.B.C.0 network go via a.b.c.2.
> I don't think there's any reason for Rtr A to know that the A.B.C.0
> network is on the other side of the PPP connection.  I am guessing here
> 'cos I'm not on the machine, but I would think that the PPP session itself
> creates the route to the a.b.c.0 network but not the A.B.C.0 network.
>

> My guess...
>
> Steve

Paul Rolland, rol@oleane.net
OLEANE SA/Service Technique/Directeur Technique Adjoint
OLEANE SA/Technical Service/Deputy Technical Manager

--

Support technique et operationnel Oleane :  support@oleane.net
Test du mail                             :  ping@oleane.net

Please no MIME, I don't read it - Pas de MIME, je ne le lis pas
Please no HTML, I'm not a navigator - Pas d'HTML, je ne suis pas un navigateur

If a train station is where a train stops, what is a workstation then ?