Re: (ASCEND) PANIC: Problems with 6.0.0

On Tue, Mar 03, 1998 at 10:04:20AM -0600, Neal Rigney wrote:
> Did you perchance notice is data was flowing OUT of the Max from the
> connection?  i.e. If they ping a host, can you see the icmp requests go out
> on the wire?  This is a long-standing issue I've never had sufficiently
> explained to me.  The Max loses the route TO the host, but not FROM the
> host.  Go figure.

Dave Walsh has opened a ticket on this issue. I've spend the last three
hours collecting additional information for the issue and going nearly
lunatic because our Max got even more mad than with the problem above -
he suddenly dropped all accepted calls instantly with disc cause 185
and progress codes that are before or early into the LCP phases, while
outgoing calls fail with "No Channel Avail". Cured it with a reset and
appended the logs to the information.

And yes, I see exactly what you describe: The Max stops to send out
packets on the profile (according to wandsess), while it still receives
packets from the profile. IMHO the Max doesn't really lose the route,
the route is still fine there in "show ip route". Maybe it loses some
internal structure or pointer to the route. The bad thing is, as there
are still packets flowing in the Max doesn't drop the conn but it stays
up (unusable) as long as the other side produces packets. DNS queries to
root name servers seem to qualify for this. BTW, there is no such thing
as a "route FROM a host", if packets come in they are there because the
other side sent them out to us (according to their route to our Max).
The Max will then try to forward them.

I'm really close to down to 5.0Ap13...

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |