Re: (ASCEND) PANIC: Problems with 6.0.0

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Basher <basher@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
To: ascend-users@max.bungi.com <ascend-users@max.bungi.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 03, 1998 2:18 PM
Subject: Re: (ASCEND) PANIC: Problems with 6.0.0

[snippage]
>> Did you perchance notice is data was flowing OUT of the Max from the
>> connection?  i.e. If they ping a host, can you see the icmp requests go
out
>> on the wire?
>
>The first message said explicity "using wandsess I can see that the Max
>stops sending out any packet on the session" so no data was flowing out
>of the Max onto the connection.

I didn't speak clearly enough.  When the problem I relate happens, a ping
will go through all the way to the max(shown by a tcpdump) from the
network(i.e. my machine in the office), but never shows up on the wandsess.
On the other hand, the connection in question can SEND packets to the
network.  If they run a ping, wandsess shows packets coming from them and
tcpdump shows packets going on the wire.

>> This is a long-standing issue I've never had sufficiently explained to
me.
>> The Max loses the route TO the host, but not FROM the host.  Go figure.
>

>In addition, in traditional routing, there is no such thing as a route
>"from [a] host".  Routes are based on destination address and contain
>the "next hop" (who to send the packet to next).  [I added the qualifier
>of "traditional routing" because some vendors are now doing policy routing
>or flow routing or tag-based routing that look at the source address,
>but this is not typically the case in the MAX].

I'm aware of all this.  I should have said "the Max APPEARS to lose the
route..."

--
Neal Rigney, PERnet Communications, (409)729-4638
neal@mail.pernet.net