Re: (ASCEND) Upgrade procedures: so simple. Not!

At 09:29 AM 3/3/98 -0800, Peter Lalor wrote:

>To some extent, I agree with this. I guess I take it for granted that
>things are going to be complicated with equipment at the level of a Max or
>a TNT, but with a device like a Pipeline, it's ludicrous.

I guess I must be too familiar with the Pipeline to see the complexity we
are discussing here....

>We just put up a page on our web site for people with our two most common
>client routers, Pipelines and Netopias. It's like looking at the difference
>between installation instructions for the same software on a Mac or a PC.

Hey, but you're biassed Peter (Infoasis is a MAC shop ;)

>The Ascend section is vague and muddled, and suggests you download release
>notes and documentation, just so you can begin to pick the right file to
>download.

Maybe you could help us by explaining what is vague and muddled. The Tech
Pubs group regularly works with feedback from sources like this.

>Then you've got to get it installed. Do you know how many of my
>clients run a TFTP server? Roughly, oh, zero.

They could TFTP from *your* TFTP server if you have such a service. I believe
that Ascend support are also establishing a TFTP server to test out this
option (actually I know they've had one for a while, but I suspect that the
capacity was not sufficient to allow us to 'advertise' it).

>The chances of blowing your
>config away are 100% with a serial connection, which is what everyone uses.

True. Actually I've not checked this, but does an "fsave'd" config also get
wiped out during a serial port upgrade?

>And then your password is gone. Between picking a load, saving your config,
>knowing your passwords, loading the new code, loading the config,
>reentering passwords in various places, all with resets in between... well,
>people just bring 'em in and let us do it.
>
>To upgrade a Netopia, you go to their web site and tell them the model of
>your router. They tell you a filename. Then you tell your Netopia to
>upgrade to the new firmware from Netopia's TFTP server. When it's done, it
>resets and comes up under the new load. With it's config. Every time.

Sounds like something we should look into more seriously. I'll check with
support and the product manager to see where we stand on this....

>I think the difference comes from Ascend's background providing arcane
>equipment like Maxen to engineers. IMO, taking this approach with Pipelines
>is a recipe for beefing up your tech support budget and irritating
>customers. Or just having them buy Netopias.

Ouch! Definitely one for the product manager to mull over....

>And as you can see from this list, people running Maxen aren't too thrilled
>with it either. And we're supposed to know what we're doing.

If we regularly read the release notes when upgrading, then many of the
questions that do come up are already answered there....just *my* 2c.

Kevin