Re: (ASCEND) Disconnects on one of my Maxen

> Customers are complaining about random disconnects, and I've narrowed it
> down to one of my maxen.

The fact that you are seeing the problem on a single MAX will typically
indicate (a) a problem with the line, (b) a problem with the hardware, or
(c) a problem with the configuration.

Check the RADIUS accounting information.  Are the Ascend-Disconnect-Cause
240 messages associated with a single line (check the NAS-Port value)?

If so, then try swapping the line with another line on the same MAX - does
the problem follow the line or stay with the port?

Have you checked the modem statistics?  Are any of the modems showing an
abnormally large number of problems?  Try checking the "modemdrvDump"
diagnostic command output.  Do any modems stand out?

Is the problem associated with particular customers?  Do these customers
ever connect to a different MAX in your network?   Have you checked to be
sure they have the latest 56K firmware for their modems?

Have you compared the configuration between a MAX that does not exhibit this
Disconnect Cause code and the MAX that does?  Check the value of the LQM
parameter (Ethernet>Answer>PPP Options...>LQM) - do they differ?

> Aug 31 19:09:35 max6 ASCEND: call 136 CL 0K  u=sparktec c=240 p=65 s=38000
> r=28800  h=209.240.35.81

Disconnect Cause code 240 indicates that LQM (Link Quality Monitoring)
detected a problem and terminated the session.  You can try to disable
LQM, but if the problem is a real problem that LQM is just pointing out
then instead of disconnects, you may have customers whose connections
simply hang for long periods of time.  It is up to you and the customers
to decide which is preferred.

> Before today, the box was running 6.0.0e3 so I tried upgrading it to 6.1.7
> as I was in the middle of doing that anyways.  No difference as far as the
> disconnects go.

This is a good sign that it is not a MAX code related problem (although it
is certainly not a guarantee).