Re: (ASCEND) Nat setup help.

At 11:24 AM 8/1/98 -0500, Andy Walden wrote:
>What device that what connects to exactly do you mean? I don't have
>anything on the network that assigns IP's.

Whatever is on the other end of the T1 or ISDN - the device that the P130
"calls" to.  It should assign an IP to the P130 when the connection is
established.  The P130 will use that on it's wan interface and route out
through it as long as you have the P130 configured just like that Ascend web
page says.

>There are just three win95
>machines total. Where are you finding your documention? I found the one of
>their web site, but it didn't seem to make much sense. You said only put
>the fake ip on the 130, in which spot? Thanks for the time.

http://www.ascend.com/895.html
I know it doesn't make much sense, but if you configure your device just like
it says, then it will work (in a fashion).  For the fake IP, notice this part
[sic]:
"My Addr=(in this field you can enter any reserved, vaild IP address.
192.168.100.100/24 is a common reserved IP address."

Many people seem to have trouble with NAT on Ascend gear even when it is
properly configured.  Some people have found it to not be worth the trouble
and
just get a real subnet instead of trying to use NAT on Ascend equipment.

It's really neither helpful nor useful to send replies to both the list and my
email address.  My email address is already on the list so if you edit your
recipients list and only send your replies to the list and not to my email
address, I will still get it.