On Fri, 26 Mar 2021, Mike Miller wrote:

> USB Foot Pedal for Computer Transcription
> https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-USB-1-Computer-Transcription-Pedal/dp/B008EA1K66

One of the first things I thought of was something like this:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/this-video-shows-you-how-to-turn-an-old-usb-keyboard-into-a-foot-switch-controller

If I can find the right keyboard for my use case, it might work really
well.  These would be the most important keystrokes:

space	Play/pause
Shift + Left Arrow	Jump 5 seconds back
[	Slower (fine)
]	Faster (fine)

These would be good, too:

=	Normal rate
Shift + Right Arrow	Jump 5 seconds forward
Alt + Left Arrow	Jump 10 sec. back
Alt + Right Arrow	Jump 10 sec. forward
Control + Left Arrow	Jump 1 minute back
Control + Right Arrow	Jump 1 minute forward

Apparently, something like this might be useful for looping part of a song
I'm trying to play along with (or some speech I want to transcribe):

start=240 #start time in seconds
stop=560  #stop time in seconds
vlc movie.avi --start-time $start --stop-time $stop --repeat

Mike