On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 07:24:03PM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> I'm thinking it would be great to mount a small Linux computer to the back
> of a TV and connect it to an HDMI port on the TV.  It could then connect via
> WiFi to a media server and show videos, photos, streams, etc. on the screen.
> It's a pretty obvious idea and I know people are doing it, but I don't know
> what to buy.  Features I'd want:
>
> 4K video HDMI output (3840x2160).
> 8GB RAM
> 128 GB SSD
> WiFi
> Bluetooth
> USB 3.x
>
> It would be great if it were easy to install Ubuntu, say, and have
> everything just work.

I have something similar, but not mounted to the back of the TV. I
used an Intel NUC. A lot more expensive than a Pi, since it basically
is a PC in a small form factor. But because it is a PC, all the usual
distributions should install without an issue. You should also be able
to avoid the Microsoft Tax, since they often ship without OS. It is
overkill for just a TV streamer, but since it is likely to be an
always on machine, you can use it for other things are well. Mine has
a big external USB drive that i use for backup of my desktop and
laptops. And all my photos end up stored on it. So it is basically a
NAS as well.

VESA is the standard for mounting computers to back of displays. It
specifies the minimum size, location of screws, etc. So if your TV is
VESA compatible, and your choice of computer is VESA compatible, it
should be simple to mate the two.

I find having a real keyboard useful, mostly because i'm a command
line junkie, and most desktop environments are not designed for couch
surfing from 12 feet. So i have a Logitech K400 which works for
me. And for more complex stuff, its linux, just SSH into it from a
laptop/desktop.

	 Andrew