Hello,

I am splitting this topic off from the other thread, hoping that someone
has a solution or recommendations.

My experience with Android and Windows is they both do a very good job in
dealing with processes that become very memory or CPU hungry. The systems
tend to stay responsive (may lag slightly, but usable), and recoverable
(task managers can still be brought up), even under extreme memory and CPU
pressure.

I have yet to find a desktop Linux distro that can do nearly as well.
Chrome and Firefox both easily get into 100% CPU usage and high memory
usage situations on desktop Linux, resulting in nonresponsive systems, that
I don't experience on Android or Windows. These situations are easy enough
to hit that even novice users can experience them with only a handful of
open tabs, depending on the sites open. (On the exact same hardware,
Windows can run the same browser with the same or even more tabs and
survive). With these problems, I find it hard to recommend Linux as a
general purpose desktop OS to others or even use it as my own desktop as my
daily driver. Linux seems to do okay when the upper bounds of the loads are
well-defined and easily fit within the available resources.

Does anyone know of a distro that does as good as a job at maintaining
resource control and desktop responsiveness under heavy load as Android or
Windows? I would love to hear about it.

Thanks,

-hk

P.S. a relevant article, "Yes, Linux Does Bad In Low RAM / Memory Pressure
Situations On The Desktop"
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Does-Bad-Low-RAM

P.P.S. It appears that Android uses pressure stall information (PSI) to
mitigate these problems per post
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/phoronix/general-discussion/1118164-yes-linux-does-bad-in-low-ram-memory-pressure-situations-on-the-desktop?p=1118174#post1118174