You are clearly way ahead of me. And I deeply respect your efforts. It's
a big important field, obviously.

I don't claim expert. But I recently re-read some old AVR assembly
language tutorial by Gerhard Schmidt. Many years ago I revised his AVR
assembler, written in FreePascal, using the old Unix editor NEdit. I
love long descriptive names for functions and variables, and was amazed
the assembler still worked after my assault.

I don't know if I read it before, but he also had a small serial port
ATMEGA8515 control program for PWM and used the ancient ANSI terminal
escape sequences to colorize his output. I had done an 8515 interrupt
controlled serial IO and added terminal control characters to the
template. And separately had done both a FreePascal and TCL terminal
escape sequences coloring control. These beautiful modern Linux terminal
emulators can do a lot of user interfacing.

The reason I like the 8515 is because it has external memory capability.
And old Atmel Studio 4 really helped me understand, to the extent I do,
programming these complex little chips. I'm just hoping to do more with
what I have.

I'm glad this thread encouraged so many wonderful people to teach me
more. Thanks again.