Rick,

I have used both the STK500 and Atmel-ICE programmers and think they
are overpriced.
I have migrated to OpenOCD on a Pi.
Also avoids vendor lock-in to Atmel and allows ST Micro, Renesas,
Freescale, NXP or other uC's to be used.

Lady Ada has a nice tutorial on her site beginning here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/programming-microcontrollers-using-openocd-on-raspberry-pi

It allows programming many uC that use SWD or JTAG and has a debugger.

Might also check out some of the other dev boards Adafruit has.
Elecrow's crowtail or crowduino boards may be of interest also.
Elecrow also manufactures inexpensive boards if you are proficient
with KiCad or Eagle and don't mind soldering.

Happy hacking,
Bob