As always, thanks for your feedback.

I have a nice breadboard, and some nice proto boards from "Protostack,"
and 3 Atmel STK500 development kits, and AVR Studio on 5 machines, and
chips, and working software. I'm ready to have some soldering done.

I would have replied to your kind response earlier. But about 8:30 AM I
heard a clang outside and a little up the dirt road an old guy was
climbing out of his truck in the ditch. He was very lucky he broke the
sign post or he would have rolled it. He was in his 80s and it took two
trips from the towing company in Hinckley to get him out. The towing
company needed a bigger truck and a helper. It cost me $200 to get the
old guy down the road without a heart attack, and he was wearing my
brand new pair of dry wool socks leaving his wet socks on my wood stove.
The old guy was great to meet. But I need civilization.

I've tried FreeGeeks. Maybe some day I'll donate some nice stuff when I
think they have people who know what it is.