On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 9:14 AM Jeff Chapin <chapinjeff at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this just a curiosity thing? or is there a concern that some devices are acting improperly? I know that many devices check for updates overnight -- and this is not limited to just application updates -- but includes some config file updates. Many ONT/cable modems/etc and even cell phones will periodically pull down a new config for things like routes/towers/limits/etc -- but these should be a relatively small 'spike'. In the case of these sorts of connections, your *best* case is that when you come back from airplane mode these updates are fetched quietly -- or in a worse case, not at all.

This is not so much a curiosity thing as a way to reduce the data
slurp by whomever.

If I am working on my computer I expect a certain amount of IP back
and forth at the time.
I do NOT want any outside IP to be connecting when I am NOT active on
my equipment.

Sorta like - - - 'my house, my rules' except that today the are a
number of entities that
believe that they own at the very least my data but they really want
to own me - - - I
refuse that offer categorically and vehemently.

Regards