Is this just a curiosity thing? or is there a concern that some devices are
acting improperly? I know that many devices check for updates overnight --
and this is not limited to just application updates -- but includes some
config file updates. Many ONT/cable modems/etc and even cell phones will
periodically pull down a new config for things like
routes/towers/limits/etc -- but these should be a relatively small 'spike'.
In the case of these sorts of connections, your *best* case is that when
you come back from airplane mode these updates are fetched quietly -- or in
a worse case, not at all.

I know that some older cell phones (one LG model did around 2008ish, at
least, and I have reason to believe that the MVNO Republic Wireless does
this currently) maintained a list of roaming/non-roaming cell towers and if
you a) had roaming turned off, b) had the cell phone for more than a couple
of years, and c) it had issues getting this list updated it would refuse to
connect. It was unaware that Tower X1F003B was non-roaming, and would
refuse to connect to it, even though you had good, strong signals. The
solution with these devices is to manually force them to pull a new list
down and suddenly they work MUCH better.  This said I am not a cell phone
technology expert, and I am just blindly repeating what I have been told by
two different vendors regarding why I needed to force update the internal
tower configs on multiple phones to get them to connect -- and now, when my
wife's Republic Wireless phone acts up, the first thing I do is to pull the
'new towers list' and things start working again....