Kurtis Hanna <Kurtis at riseup.net> writes:
> Call me crazy, but I think that the best Gnu+Linux Operating Systems are
> the ones that respect your freedom(s) the most. The Free Software
> Foundation created some guidelines on this matter here:
> https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html

No argument there, really. Not always practical, I'm afraid.

> I use Trisquel the most out of that list. Guix, Parabola, PureOS, and
> Hyperbola are all great as well.

I've wanted to try Guix, but I'm worried about driver support and
general tools availability. I feel like it's one of those "when I have
time for it" moments. Otherwise, currently running Ubuntu on a Dell XPS
13 Developer Edition until my warranty runs out.

Most of what I do is working inside Emacs and a browser, so I could
probably get away with a distrobution that doesn't demand a lot from
hardware. The touch screen may be a little tricky to get working.

My days of desktop gaming have long ago faded, but Linux seems
well supported under Steam. Not sure if you can install that on Guix
without first installing rpm or dpkg and associated libraries. I would
assume if you could work out all the dependencies, it should be very
reproducable in Guix.

For those not as worried about free v.s. non-free in the RMS definition,
there is NixOS (which Guix took its initial inspiration from) and Debian
(which will always hold a special place in my heart).

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>
Blog: https://runswithd6s.gitlab.io/