Not that this is all that pertinent to today's hardware/distros,
but...Many years ago I used a really early version of Fedora (manually
configured iptables) on a 486 class PC with, at most, 512MB of RAM.If I
recall I was on a synchronous 128Kbit connection before broadband was
available in this community.The distro I used actually fit on a floppy,
so after bootstrapping from the floppy to RAMfs, I popped it out.Uptime
for that before retiring it was well over 1000 days.
I also tried Untangle, and Nitix, and some other ones which have been
lost to the dustbin of my memory.
Today I use the relatively inexpensive Ubiquity EdgeRouter Pro with 8
independently configurable interfaces - rack mountable, small
footprint, robust, easy to configure, and high throughput. It has some
nice observability tools built-in (I can watch my Comcast connection go
out and come back), and after putting the Comcast modem in bridge mode,
my EdgeRouter is "on the Internet" so it can be a secure endpoint for
me to VPN back into my LAN. All with very little configuration.
I certainly hear you about reusing old hardware. I was there but aging
like I have, I tend to donate the old hardware and purchase fit-for-
purpose equipment for my use cases.