Hi all,

I have an older piece of gear with an Intel Core2 proc, 2 gigs of RAM, and
a multitude of interfaces.  I've been wanting to turn this into a firewall
appliance.

I'm wanting to use 5 or 6 different interfaces (LAN, WAN, DMZ, Guest WIFI,
IoT, Lab).  I'm finding that the old standbys, IPcop and its sort of
replacement IPfire don't handle that number of interfaces and all the
filtering I want.

I've played with pfSense, and it's OK, but limited in its feature set.  I
really like Untangle, but it insistently demands 6GB of RAM and not 1MB
less.  This box is finicky enough that I don't really have the desire to
find enough RAM and make the box happy about it.

 So.. What else is out there that people like?  Do people still roll their
own with iptables, pf, or whatever the latest thing is?

Yes, I suppose I could replace the box, but it's a 1U appliance and
designed for this kind of thing.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Brian