I can't help with your programming adventure, but since you use openSUSE
and low level socket functions I might have a suggestion or two.

First, what version of openSUSE do you use??? I have several installed
on several machines. Personally, I usually prefer old 32 bit openSUSE
12.2 for core programming. I like the 12.3, 13.1 for their desktop
themes, 13.2 for my "modern" internet play, 42.3 Leap is great for
exploring 64 bit, but 15.1 is a weak programming version.

My reason is the lack of Tkman on 15.1. You can really explore the man
pages with hyperlinks, multiple open pages (like xman), and exploring
volumes. On a 64 bit version you have different directories for
different libraries, which adds a lot of confusion. And I'm not sure how
posix compliant BSD is.

Often I dig through the C header files to create FreePascal library
access. I did a fair amount with Unix local sockets and it's worth
looking at the header file for lots of info. It might compile, but you
don't know what it does. openSUSE also usually provides an HTML
documentation of the Gnu-C library.

Without looking at some recent (last winter) programming fun, I seem to
remember trying socket(Unix, Packet,??) and getting good message
boundaries not seen in socket(Unix, Stream, ??). And IIRC, the third
parameter might or might not mean anything.

Of course this has nothing to do with your question. Except digging
around the man pages and include files, even source code and kernel
documentation has been a real eye opener into what an extraordinary
system linux is.

As the SUSE team says; "Have a lot of fun!"