> I am working to build a program where the program itself sits on a
> designated server where a database and a front end provide
> interaction. Want to have the user's data and results (from using the
> program (process) reside on their machine. AIUI this means that I'm
> trying to have a service on the cloud (or some such).

There are several ways to do this. I do it with MySQL and a code in C, which
uses the MySQL library as an API to do "queries" and whatever else is needed
to the SQL server.

Data to the SQL server comes from a web page and from my running programs,
all of which reside on a virtual private server (VPS) hosted somewhere.

Start from there. Others can suggest other options as well.