> ...I still have trouble believing you can boot a linux system
> without password and change somebody's password. I would have thought
> this a major security hole.

basically if you have physical access to the hardware, you own it.  even
setting passwords on the bios and in grub doesn't help much, if you really
want to protect your data, encrypt your drive.  of course the most likely
result is your own bother and annoyance, but if you really have stuff that
demands protection, then encrypt.

> But with Ubuntu, who knows, you have no root password anyway, as I recall.

you can set one if you choose, but by default that is correct, there is no
password that will work for 'su', instead you get root privilege via sudo.