When I plug in a USB drive, it is mounted in /media/$USER/LABEL where
"LABEL" is the label on the USB drive.  If it is an NTFS drive, it is
mounted with umask=000 and dmask=0000 which means that every directory and
every file is readable, writeable and executable by every user.  It would
be nice if I could control the permissions on every file independently,
but it doesn't seem like that is possible with NTFS.  I can use ntfs-3g to
mount a USB drive like this...

sudo ntfs-3g -o permissions,umask=133,dmask=022,uid=$UID,gid=$GROUPS /dev/sda1 mntpnt

...and though I can't change the permissions for individual files or
directories, the directory permissions are 755 and the file permissions
are 644, which is what I usually want to see.  I wouldn't mind 777 and
666, but I don't want the files to be 777!  (For one, it turns off all the
nice LS_COLORS.)

So that is a kind of solution, but it doesn't happen automatically.  What
happens automatically seems to be something like this:

udisksctl mount -b /dev/sda1 -o rw,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,uhelper=udisks2

But if I try to add umask or dmask to those mount options, it doesn't
work.

Do any of you have a suggestion?  I could always configure fstab for
drives I use often, but for any random NTFS drive, it would be nice if the
system automatically gave me what I want.

Mike