On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 3:42 PM, Iznogoud <iznogoud at nobelware.com> wrote:

>> grub.conf is regenerated, and your mods lost, whenever a new kernel is
>> installed.  i know, i hated it when i first started learning grub2.  your
>> mods belong in /etc/default/grub and /etc/grub.d/40_custom.  copy 40_custom
>> to 07_custom and stuff in there will precede, and thus be what boots by
>> default.  put in there entries which boot via the kernel and initrd in /,
>> those softlinks are updated whenever a new kernel is installed.  then
>> either regenerate grub.conf, or i confess i then edit the same mods into
>> grub.conf as well, it's just plain far quicker.
>>

> I confess, I do not upgrade kernels often, and I do non of that automatically
> as you are assuming. Manual everything, system map, etc, etc, and a new entry
> in grub.conf all the time.

Sorry - - - -you're now commenting on someone else's words not the op.

> Yes, I should be /etc/default/grub-ing, but I do not.
>

>> also if you're interested in how to boot multiple installs all from the
>> same partition, just ask.
>>

> Dee needs to know how to do that. I do this all the time, with multiple OSs
> and lots of tweaks.

What I can find is a lot of pages written from 2003 to about 2012. The few that
are newer (newest 2015 which is still ancient by 'modern' standards -
- - I think
I was running debian 8 at that time) are talking about windows + a
couple different
distros. It seems that what I'm doing is something quite different. So
there just isn't
any information that I can find (looking through about 100 pages of
'supposed' links).
Any pointers as to where to look?

Regards

Dee