On Sat, 2018-09-01 at 13:51 +0000, Iznogoud wrote:
> Thanks for hte info Randy. I know you and I haev talked about your
> router,
> and recently in view of that notorious attack that many systems
> experienced.
>
> Regarding "bridge mode" over ISP type networks. I do not even know
> how to go
> about having the ISP getting their modem to work in bridge mode. This
> really
> trully means that they have to be assigning internet addresses to the
> machines that pass through the bridge. Correct? I that case, do they
> not
> care that one of ther subscribers is taking up more than one IP?
>
> As an example, I use VirtualBox all the time, and maek the VMs's
> network be
> bridged to the host's NIC (ehternet or wireless adapter). That way,
> my main
> DHCP serve, which is a simple wireless route, assigns the IPs. (The
> benefit
> here is that the VMs are jsut another IP on the network, and can be
> accessed
> from any other one.) This keeps using up IPs from the DHCP server. Is
> this
> not a concern for ISPs?
>
> I will echo Randy's caution, about bridging to WANs of ISPs. You are
> exposing
> the system to the outside world in a pretty raw manner. So, it better
> be a
> router, like Randy's, or a very well-kept Linux cut for the job.

Internet --- cable modem --- EdgeRouter --- LAN(s)
The EdgeRouter will only get a single ISP-provided IP addr (unless I
subscribe to business class, which I don't). The cable modem still gets
its single IP addr but it's passed through to the EdgeRouter. The
DOCSIS protocol is what cable modems use and that controls the aspects
of my subscription from the ISP.
The EdgeRouter's WAN port gets the single ISP-provided IP addr. The LAN
side is all under my control and there are no Internet routable IP
addrs on the LAN side.
Behind the EdgeRouter (the LAN side), I can have as many IP addrs as I
want/need, and each LAN configured in the the EdgeRouter can have it's
own DHCP server serving separate subnets.
I too, use VirtualBox, and bridge the host's IP addr to the VM - that's
just another NAT (network address translation) - the same type of NAT
going on in the EdgeRouter that translates all of my LAN IP addrs to
the single WAN IP addr.
For the current Comcast cable modems, here's how you put them into
bridge mode.
In your browser, open up http://10.0.0.1 (this used to be 192.168.0.1,
but changed with the latest cable modems, but if 10.0.0.1 doesn't work,
try 192.168.0.1)
The default Username/password is admin/password (how original)
On the home page,  click the "Enable" button next to "Bridge Mode:"
(see attached file if it comes through)
Hope that helps