Thanks for hte info Randy. I know you and I haev talked about your router,
and recently in view of that notorious attack that many systems experienced.

Regarding "bridge mode" over ISP type networks. I do not even know how to go
about having the ISP getting their modem to work in bridge mode. This really
trully means that they have to be assigning internet addresses to the
machines that pass through the bridge. Correct? I that case, do they not
care that one of ther subscribers is taking up more than one IP?

As an example, I use VirtualBox all the time, and maek the VMs's network be
bridged to the host's NIC (ehternet or wireless adapter). That way, my main
DHCP serve, which is a simple wireless route, assigns the IPs. (The benefit
here is that the VMs are jsut another IP on the network, and can be accessed
from any other one.) This keeps using up IPs from the DHCP server. Is this
not a concern for ISPs?

I will echo Randy's caution, about bridging to WANs of ISPs. You are exposing
the system to the outside world in a pretty raw manner. So, it better be a
router, like Randy's, or a very well-kept Linux cut for the job.