I have seen no specific downside to this. A lot of whatifs. But it is
certainly an historic gamble;

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ibm-thinks-really-different-with-red-hat-1540830624

"International Business Machines" makes their biggest purchase ever of a
business software company, in the middle of a collapsing PC marketplace,
during a business boom. Tens of $billions investment is generated for
the combined efforts.

I knew a guy in strategic planning of IBM when pushing what we now call
the internet (investor's brother-in-law). Believe me, nobody really knew
where it was going. But the telephone company, computer companies,
manufacturers, and government bet on their best and brightest (which
quickly left me out). 1981 was a "what do we do now?" danger time.

In a similar situation, Charles Lindbergh flew across the Atlantic in
1927, 10 years later we were preparing for an air war. The "Great
Depression" never hit technology. The market just pulled the rug out
from non-essentials.

I'm excited as can be for this new opportunity. And grateful to others
with faith and hope in our future. Maybe some just don't understand what
a computer really is??