I know it has saved me from accidentally making a directory in the wrong
place. If I am not in $HOME, and run mkdir scripts/shell, as opposed to
mkdir ~/scripts/shell, I would prefer the double check and failure when it
notices scripts/ does not exist. Similarly: mkdir scrpts/shell, mkdir
/ect/httpd/conf....