On 2018-11-10 12:00:01 UTC
tclug-list-request at mn-linux.org opined:
>    2. Re: GhostBSD and TrueOS (Brian Wood)

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 12:48:49 -0600
> From: Brian Wood <woodbrian77 at gmail.com>
> To: tclug-list <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
> Subject: Re: [tclug-list] GhostBSD and TrueOS
>
> harv writes:
> > So am I. Was an Archlinux user for years but cancer known
> > as systemd appeared so needed to look elsewhere. ~2016 tried
> > TrueOS and fell in love with zfs filesystem. Unfortunately,
> > TrueOS 1803- the preconfigured version hasn't updated since
> > march. RC-1 and RC-2 of Project Trident didn't work for me so
> > installed FreeBSD 11.2 and lumina DE- developed
> > by Trueos devs- and am a happy camper :-)
>
> I'm confused by what's been going on with TrueOS, Trident
> and GhostBSD.   The thought occurred to me that the word
> 'ghost' in the name may mean they wish to be vague about
> who is behind it.

GhostBSD has been around since long before TrueOS came on the scene
and based on FreeBSD. Not sure which branch though.

TrueOS started out as PC-BSD and is based on FreeBSD-current. Up to
version 1803 it came with preconfigured graphical desktop. For version
1806 they decided to drop the desktop and make the distro more of
something others could use as a base to build on.
https://www.trueos.org/blog/trueosdownstream/
And this is what GhostBSD decided to do- switch their base from
whatever branch of FreeBSD they were on to TrueOS.

Project Trident is a continuation of TrueOS with graphical desktop.
They released RC-3 todaybut with some caveats. See here:
https://discourse.trueos.org/t/rc3-update-taken-from-telegram/3431

> I tried the latest version of GhostBSD now and am not sure
> if I'm going to stick with it.  I had a few small problems. One
> was not being able to log out and log back in as a different user.
>
> What you mention about using FreeBSD and lumina sounds
> interesting.  Did you build lumina from ports?  I've had mixed
> results with building things from ports the few times I've done
> that.

Nope. There is a lumina meta-package but its not complete. Probably
also want the pcbsd-utils-qt5 package as well.

harv