Rick, I like that you are thinking that and you offer a theory, but I think the
data shows otherwise, especially when it comes to wind energy. I just heard
this on the radio two days ago; CEO of Xcel stated numbers on wind power in MN:
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/11/07/climate-cast-xcel-electric-cars
Surprising fact: $1-per-gallon equivalent in price; not sure if this is after
subsidies. Also, I spent 15 days in St John (stranded after Irma) and everyone
there had multiple 50V/300W solar panels (at $300 cost) that ran their fridges.

Channeling solar light across large distances sounds like a good idea to me.

But let's keep this focused on Linux, shall we...