Traditional-thinking companies want to restrict their employees using
some type of desktop management system to set policies and permissions
and limit activities (e.g. limit or deny admin/root access).
Windows desktops have plenty of ways for employers to do that.
Macs have some ways (Jamf is probably the front runner) for employers
to do that.
Linux doesn't have a way for employers to do that to my knowledge.
In my opinion, that is the major factor why Linux hasn't gained more
desktop support in companies, so you are totally correct - they're
rare.
I bet the company you worked for grok'd continuous delivery, or had a
non-traditional view of productivity.
But, Google what you're looking for - employers that allow linux
desktops
They're out there.