> Your concern is noted but not applicable. This truly is no different than mounting a drive automatically on a desktop.

Yup. I figured you know what you are doing, but I thought I'd bring it up.
Sounds like a sandboxed machine with a specific purpose.

> I’ll look at permissions but I don’t know quite where that would be at.

This is a tough one. "mount" can only be executed by privileged accounts, in
general. Can you try the following to see if the error is coming from mount
and not from the tools? Instead of mount execute something like:
echo "DID IT" > /tmp/attempt_text
Completion should be successful; if it is not, you have a starting point.
Then, you will see the owner of the newly created file, which, if it does
exist, immediately tells you that mount returns an error, most likely related
to permissions.

I hope this helps.