On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 12:00 PM,  <tclug-list-request at mn-linux.org> wrote:
> Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 13:29:54 -0500
> From: "Carl W. Soderstrom" <carl.soderstrom at real-time.com>
> Subject: Re: [tclug-list] tclug-list Digest, Vol 158, Issue 11
>
> On 02/20 12:06 , Christopher Pearson wrote:
>> Yes, a decent HBA with Linux's built in RAID (md) is the way to go
>> unless you're dual booting with something other than Linux.
>
> About 10 years ago I used Linux software RAID quite a bit.
> Mostly I found that it was about an hour of hassle to replace a failed
> drive, make it bootable again, and be confident that if one drive died the
> system would still boot on the other drive. The same job would take a few
> minutes with a 3ware RAID controller.
>
> The value of the time wasn't worth the aggravation. Hardware RAID makes
> things so much more predictable.
>
> As a side note, being frustrated with md software RAID, I tried LVM's RAID
> as well. That ended up costing me a lot of (fortunately only personal) data
> when it silently failed to replicate and didn't give me any indication the
> mirroring had stopped. Things may have changed in the years since, but all
> my experiences with software RAID indicate to me it's for someone who
> doesn't mind fiddling with their computer for fun. That's not me anymore.

I haven't used 3ware's RAID, but at my last work it took a small team
of people at my last work to maintain and recover from the downtime
and data corruption caused by LSI and Areca cards, when they weren't
just slowing down systems and increasing their cost, to which received
no support, where as even the most minor bug in md, on the rare
occasion (once) it was found, was fixed within hours.