On 02/20 12:06 , Christopher Pearson wrote:
> Yes, a decent HBA with Linux's built in RAID (md) is the way to go
> unless you're dual booting with something other than Linux.

About 10 years ago I used Linux software RAID quite a bit.
Mostly I found that it was about an hour of hassle to replace a failed
drive, make it bootable again, and be confident that if one drive died the
system would still boot on the other drive. The same job would take a few
minutes with a 3ware RAID controller.

The value of the time wasn't worth the aggravation. Hardware RAID makes
things so much more predictable.

As a side note, being frustrated with md software RAID, I tried LVM's RAID
as well. That ended up costing me a lot of (fortunately only personal) data
when it silently failed to replicate and didn't give me any indication the
mirroring had stopped. Things may have changed in the years since, but all
my experiences with software RAID indicate to me it's for someone who
doesn't mind fiddling with their computer for fun. That's not me anymore.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator