On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 5:16 PM, r hayman <rhayman at pureice.com> wrote:
> Like Ioannis, I control my own LAN and isolate it from the "LAN" of the
> ISP-provided device.
>
> I currently have an Ubiquity EdgeRouter and its WAN port is the only thing
> connected to the ISP-provided device.
> I set the ISP-provided device into bridge mode (if I can't I have my ISP do
> it).
>
> When this is complete, my EdgeRouter WAN directly faces the Internet (gets
> an Internet routable address).
> I have the EdgeRouter set up as a DHCP server on the LAN side and have all
> incoming and outgoing routes denied by default.
> I add rules to allow only what I want in and out of my network.
>
> I also have the ability to support VLANs for IoT devices that I don't want
> on my LAN - they get a separate VLAN
>
> Set up like this, my entire LAN operates within the LAN even when the ISP or
> the WAN goes dark.

This sounds like what I'm looking for.
So - - - am I understanding correctly?
You have 2 routers with one serving as a connection to the WAN and the second
is the one that connects from the WAN to itself and #2 runs the LAN.

Any ideas on documentation to 'make' this happen?
I'm new to any sys admin/computer under the hood stuff so its useful for me to
find a crib sheet where things are laid out.

Thanking you for your idea/s !!!

Regards

Dee