Like Ioannis, I control my own LAN and isolate it from the "LAN" of the
ISP-provided device.
I currently have an Ubiquity EdgeRouter and its WAN port is the only
thing connected to the ISP-provided device.
I set the ISP-provided device into bridge mode (if I can't I have my
ISP do it).
When this is complete, my EdgeRouter WAN directly faces the Internet
(gets an Internet routable address).
I have the EdgeRouter set up as a DHCP server on the LAN side and have
all incoming and outgoing routes denied by default.
I add rules to allow only what I want in and out of my network.
I also have the ability to support VLANs for IoT devices that I don't
want on my LAN - they get a separate VLAN
Set up like this, my entire LAN operates within the LAN even when the
ISP or the WAN goes dark.