On Thu, 9 Aug 2018, Iznogoud wrote:

> A year is a long time. I would have quit trying long before that.

I kinda did give up.  It had been improving, presumably because of kernel
upgrades.  The only reason I found out about the Ryzen issue was that I
was looking at new laptops -- "does this one work with with Linux?" -- and
I found that an HP laptop with AMD Ryzen processor was said to suffer from
that Ryzen bug (that I hadn't heard of).  I bought mine last July and it
looks like most of the talk about it came out in February, so there wasn't
much out there about it when I was looking back in July and August last
year.

> I have not gone ot kernel 4 yet; I am still on 3. Really, until I need
> the functionality of something new, I do not just do it for the sake of
> doing it. Newest is not always better, and latest does not mean
> "bug-free." A colleague has had an issue on an a particular HPC system
> and the latest HDF5 library. He ended up spending a lot of time on it,
> and I even had to write a tester for him to pass to the OpenGroup so
> that they can fix their distro. Distractions I do not need...

Right.  If it ain't broke ...  But sometimes it is broke!  It seems like a
lot of devices work better with a newer kernel.  Right now I'm working on
a new laptop where the wifi isn't working (HP with Realtek RTL8822BE), but
I'm told that the newest kernels support it.  The problem is, I need to
install software to make it work, but that's hard to do with no networking
(there is no ethernet on the laptop).  More on that in a separate post.

Mike