New encryption requirements since 2004 required newer OSes.

Rough guesstimates on the numbers here but …
75% of those made between between 2004 and 2013 are Windows XP or 7.
>50% made since 2013 are some of of *nix version.
About a third, or so, are Windows CE of some sort.

I cannot confirm nor refute your thoughts on Wells Fargo due to my employer-related confidentiality agreement with Wells Fargo.