It seems like all the things I don't like in Ubuntu are coming from
dbus and gtk.

I don't understand what I should be doing about this severe system
failure.  If it was just the window manager crashing, why couldn't I
ssh into the box or even see it on the network?

Do you really think I should replace 17.04 with 16.04 LTS?