On Tue, 18 Jul 2017, Iznogoud wrote:

> Maybe the price is so low because "you" are the product.

It's worth noting that Amazon sells a "No Special Offers" version of all
their Kindle devices which do *not* show ads. Naturally, they cost more.
They also let you disable the ads post-purchase (though they do charge for
it, of course).

I have heard people say the ads are not intrusive, too (they're on
screensaves/splash screens, not while you're actively using the device). I
personally still find this... less than acceptable, but if people are OK
with it on their device, I'm not going to judge. Much.