Carl,
Are we really having this discussion? (I mean it in a good way.) I thought that
having choices was better than the alternative. Those of us with 23+ years on
Linux have come a long way to still be looking at... FVWM2 for a window manager
and liking it.

In the interest of full disclosure, I hate Enlightenment (from the 90s), GNOME,
KDE, etc. FVMW2 is super-configurable, and you can make the widgets look like
you want, and no less than the Motif style (from way back when). I advocate for
FVMW2 but I totally support anyone who wants to continue to make better desktop
managers (a bad term for window manager). There is much out there, and with a
little bit of help from your favourite google you can go a long ways in getting
the thing configured to work well and look good. My 2 euro-cents.

And Kristopher,
Having closed all your source and making sure that it works on only _one_ piece
of hardware that you sanction from the bottom up will take you a long way to
making things work robustly. This is what Steve Jobs conceived a long time ago
and what us with Linux will never advocate/agree/want to do, and with very very
good reasons. So, yes, people choose the convenience and robustness of MacOSX,
which comes at 3x the price of most commodity hardware of the same capabilities
and is much less adhering to the unix standards than anything else. Flame me
all you want, I also have a macbookair pile of junk at home that I use very
often, but I am never leaving something us great of an idea and execution as
Linux.