This is an interesting thread to me. I think I understand some of it,
and am concerned and confused about the issue of too much complexity
invading linux.

When I first saw the thread I wondered if the latest greatest OpenGL
desktops were suspect. On opensuse I can configure the KDE desktop to
use different versions of OpenGL "rendering," or I can choose Xrender. I
just have an Intel motherboard GPU, so linux has it covered. On older
opensuse distros the Xrender desktop is noticeably different.

Maybe it is a good idea to dump all the graphics work to giant new video
cards. And maybe the old guys doing console command line linux are
smart. But maybe simple X11 or whatever it's called today worked pretty
well, too (for the rest of us bumpkins). Same concern for going from
32bit to 64bit.

In the linux quest to be a great choice for every user platform, they
might compromise quality.

At my age, I can live with opensuse 32bit and play with my PCI serial
ports using X11 until I enter assisted living. If I have a rationale it
would be that industrial automation ain't gonna screw around with iPads
and WiFi and 6 channel music.

Great post, great conclusion. Thanks.