On Mon, 23 Oct 2017, Carl W. Soderstrom wrote:

> On 10/22 12:59 , Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> I upgraded to Ubuntu 17.10 and soon found that some things were not
>> working. Apparently the root of the problem is that my monitor is now
>> using DISPLAY=:1.  I don't know why.  I have only one monitor.  It
>> ought to be DISPLAY=:0.  Any ideas?
>
> Got a stale lockfile in /tmp/.X11 or someplace similar? That's usually
> what causes that issue.

Thanks for the pointer, but that didn't happen to work.  I tried about 100
things and went down 100 blind alleys before I figured out that the
problem was incompatibility of the Gnome Wayland display server with
Nvidia drivers.  I uninstalled the drivers and things suddenly worked.

Before at the login screen, I couldn't choose "Ubuntu", just "Ubuntu
Xorg".

Before, logging into Ubuntu Xorg:

$ echo $DISPLAY
:1

$ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
x11

After, logging into Ubuntu:

$ echo $DISPLAY
:0

$ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
wayland

I also created ~/.config/monitors.xml and moved it to /var/lib/gdm3/.config/
based on what I read here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/966688/ubuntu-17-10-is-not-running-wayland

I'm not sure if that was needed, but like the OP on that thread, I was
using more memory before I got Wayland working.

Anyway, I'm happiear now.

Mike