The 17.04 install was on a new machine.  I did not have any problems
with 17.04 upgrades.  I don't know what's going on, but I'm working
now on moving that machine back to 16.04, which is an LTS release.

What is the best practice for doing that?  Anyone know?  I have
everything backed up.  It would be nice if I could replace the current
Ubuntu 17.04 with the 16.04 without having to worry about my old
files.  They are all backed up, but I don't want them to interfere
with the new installation.  I hope it can just write over everything
in /bin, /lib, /var, /etc and leave my files in /home.  I wouldn't
want my $HOME files to mess anything up.  Maybe I should rename that
directory before creating my account with the same username.

Mike