It's Gimp 2.8.20.  It is unusable -- no menus!!

What the heck is going on here?  Ubuntu used to just work.  Now with
17.04 it crashes daily, and *very* severely (worse than BSOD -- I wish
I could have BSOD instead!), and now I can't even use Gimp.

I searched for solutions to the Gimp problem.  They were all for 16.04
and none of them worked.

I have been using Ubuntu since the early days and I've never had any
problems.  This is ridiculous.

I can't believe after all these years that Ubuntu is failing me so completely.

I guess I have to install 16.04 LTS and see if that works.  Unbelievable.

Another crazy thing was the first time I opened Chromium-browser, it
took about 2 minutes to start, so I spent an hour reading stuff and
tweaking things -- I guess it had to do with gnome keyring.  It was a
nightmare and I have no idea if I fixed it correctly.  You read all
these guesses from other users and at least half the time they are
wrong, do nothing, or maybe cause some unknown damage.

Windows and OSX are not of any interest.  It has to be Linux, but a
solution that works would be nice!

I do feel a little better having said that!

Mike