I'm not going to say I know what I did, but it seems to be working now
under KDE. And I'm rather excited for 2 reasons; there is a nice GUI
installer "dnfdragora" and they include my old favorite text editor "nedit."

As best I recall, the repo installer already included an
/etc/yum.repos.d/ file with proper path. I logged in as root, used
"krusader" file manager, and used the "edit" and "view" internal editor
because nothing else would open (like kwrite and dolphin). Instead of
asking the dnf command to edit the ini files, I just set the enable
variable to 0 and saved them. Only the local disk repo files were
enabled. Then I ran "dnf makecache," which was the trick (I think). The
KDE "Discover" software utility was poor, but the "dnfdragora" software
program was able to build a "group database" and seems every bit as nice
as the opensuse Yast software installer.

Anyway, 8 DVDs and 57GB of repository is a nice library. Just absolutely
remember, UNPLUG your network wires sometimes!!

I really needed the System_Administrators_Guide link. Big thanks.